Top 10 Red Flags of Relationship Abuse
Here are some “red flags” to look for if you suspect a friend is involved in an abusive relationship.
- He makes derogatory remarks, or undermines her opinion.
- She has inexplicable bruises, or marks. She may wear long sleeves/high neck clothing in warm weather.
- He is known to have a bad temper, and gets irrationally angry.
- He constantly checks on her whereabouts, calling or texting her persistently.
- He checks her car mileage.
- He checks her text messages, voicemails, phone history.
- He is extremely jealous. He is threatened by her friendships.
- He criticizes her clothing.
- He perceives her behavior as being ‘flirty’ with other males.
- She withdraws from activities she usually enjoys.
If you recognize the signs of dating abuse you can help a friend. For confidential help, please call the National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline: 1-866-331-9474.