DASH was created from tragedy. Siobhan Russell was a beautiful, vibrant 19-year-old when she was murdered by her ex-boyfriend in April 2009. Her devastated parents, Lynne and Andy, needed to do something to keep Shev’s spirit alive. After reaching out to parents of other teen victims of dating abuse, Lynne found herself inspired to create DASH as a resource for her community. With the help of neighbors and friends, DASH was created.
DASH stands for Dating Abuse Stops Here. You can be responsible for how you are treated and how you treat others. If this is an emergency please call 9-1-1! The simple fact is that many teens find themselves in a dangerous or abusive dating relationship. You may not know that you’re in an abusive relationship. You may not know how to tell your parents or a friend that you’re being abused. You may not know how to get out of the situation. You may not understand why you abuse your boyfriend or girlfriend.
DASH is here to help. We offer fact sheets, information, and resources about teen dating abuse to help teens, their parents and friends understand more about this growing problem. DASH is frequently updated, so check back often. We do not offer counseling, but DASH Here 4 Help has resources, links and information to help you find what you need.
We strive to:
- Raise awareness in our community of the magnitude, proliferation and dangers of teen dating abuse;
- Educate and encourage teens to engage in healthy relationship behavior;
- Help teens, and parents, to recognize and act upon warning signs;
- Provide resources to identify places of help for teens in distress, or in potentially dangerous dating situations.
- President: Lynne Russell, creative director and loving mom of Siobhan, Jordan and Francesca
- Vice President: Wendy Claunch, content manager, technical writer, loving mom of Natalie and Valerie
- Treasurer: Stella Roberts, loving mom of Peter and Katrina
- Secretary: Andrew Russell, loving dad of Siobhan, Jordan and Francesca
With the help of:
- Deborah Mullen, advisor, loving mom of Jackie and Brendan
- Web Design and management by Captus Communications, LLC
- Terry Barlow, advisor, loving mom of Joe and Michael
- John Stipa, contributing writer, loving dad of JoJo and Betsy
- Terry Lui, loving dad of Calathea
- Dawn Stofko, loving mom of Greg and Kelly
- Janet Byrne, loving mom of Erin and Pat
CONTENT USE DISCLAIMER: DASH original content may be reproduced with the expressed written permission of DASH. Email us at email@example.com to request permission. Permission to reproduce any other content (e.g. Red Flag Campaign documentation, Virginia Action Alliance information, etc.) must be obtained from the organization cited at the end of each article or document.